Sunday 28 April 2013

gifu kouen.


 Last week I decided that three weeks into my life in Gifu, it was no longer acceptable for me to have no idea about what there is to see and do in my city. Therefore, I rallied the troops (consisting of Julie), and we ventured into central Gifu. As it is spring, we decided to visit Gifu Kouen (the city park). It is a shame it is a good 20-minute bus trip to reach it, or I would be tempted to spend a lot more time there. The park lies at the base of Mount Kinka, upon which Gifu Castle is perched. I have been told that the castle is the number one must-see of Gifu, but have not yet made it there. Although there is cable car access, my pride dictates that one must conquer the mountain by foot, and I have not yet found the time. Instead, Julie and I went for a leisurely stroll.





It is such a beautiful and tranquil park; there are ponds and vines and trees and flowers  and giant koi everywhere. Magical.






We spotted a mascot that we thought to be the Gifu mascot, but turned out to be part of some kind of campaign. Amusing nonetheless.



Following our visit to the kouen, our adventure continued, but you will have to tune in tomorrow for the second instalment (it's a good one, I promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment