Wednesday 10 April 2013

sakura.


One of the best things about arriving in Japan in spring, was being here in time to see the sakura (cherry blossoms) in bloom. It takes very little to understand why they are one of Japan’s national icons; they are absolutely everywhere and are very attractive indeed. It would appear that in my area, the sakura flowers are a much paler shade of pink than in other places.





I did find one that had a slightly more vibrant shade of pink.



I believe it is partly the short-lived beauty of sakura that makes them popular in Japan; they are meant to represent the transience of existence. Whilst I was taking the photos, the petals were already steadily falling. It was difficult to capture, but with how pale the sakura petals are, it really looked a lot like snow.




Most of my photos were taken around my university campus. On the day I took these photos, I had been warned that rain was expected the next day, which can be very destructive to the flowers, so I thought I had better take advantage of them in their prime.









The evening of my self-guided sakura tour, I was invited by Mastuoka-san (the house caretaker, and also probably my favourite Japanese person) to go to a nearby park for a nighttime hanami (cherry blossom viewing). On arrival, I fear my initial attention was not struck by the beauty of the cherry blossoms against the night sky, but rather by the abundance of unseasonal Christmas lights strewn everywhere.




From left to right – Sylvija from Croatia, Meisam from Iran, Freddie from Germany, your mate, and Matsuoka-san.



 The sakura were beautiful though.








The next day there was a more official hanami held by some of the Japanese students. We played a game called Grand Golf, which to me seemed a combination of golf and croquet. I think the person with the highest score wins, since mine was by far the highest.



Unfortunately shortly after our game was completed, the forecasted rain set in, so the morning was cut short, and Roger and I were left to struggle home in the rain. Most Gifians seem adept at riding a bike and carrying an umbrella at the same time. Not I, but perhaps something to aspire to by the time I leave. 

1 comment: